The Classical Guitar:
I'm sure if you look up romantic music in the dictionary you'll find a picture of the classical guitar. It's sublime beauty and simplicity are perfect for any romantic setting. If you're interested in the classical guitar, here are a few albums worth mentioning:
Operas are full of romance, so it's only fitting to list a few romantic arias.
- "O mio babbino caro" - Puccini's Gianni Schicchi
- "Nessun Dorma" - Puccini's Turandot
- Schubert's "Ave Maria"
- "Wie Todesahnung Dämmrung Deckt Die Lande...O Du mein holder Abendstern" - Wagner's Tannhäuser
- "Vissi d'arte, vissi d'amore" - Puccini's Tosca
- "O giusto cielo! - Il dolce suono" - Donizetti's Lucia di Lammermoor
- "Quando m'en vo'" – Puccini's La bohème
Though not necessarily composed about love, the beautiful melodies of these selections are perfect for your romantic occasion.
- Clair de Lune - Debussy
- Melodies for piano, Op 3: Melody in F - Rubenstein
- Rêverie, for piano, L. 68 - Debussy
- Prelude for piano No. 15 in D flat major, Op. 28/15, CT. 180 - Chopin
- Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Introduction and 24 Variations), in A minor for piano & orchestra, Op. 43: Variation 18 - Rachmaninoff
- Nocturne for piano in E flat major, Op. 9/2, CT. 109 - Chopin
- Estudios en los tonos naturales mayores, for piano, Op. 65, B. 11: No. 2, Tango - Albéni
Romantic Music for Orchestra:
Though large orchestras have big sounds, they are still able to create an intimate atmosphere.
- Violin Romance No. 2 - Beethoven
- Piano Concerto No. 2, 2nd mvt. - Rachmaninoff
- Violin Concerto in F minor ("L'inverno," The Four Seasons; "Il cimento" No. 4), Op. 8/4, RV 297: Largo - Vivaldi
- Adagio For Strings – Barber
- Carmen, opera, overtures & intermezzi for orchestra: Act III: Entr'acte - Bizet
- Serenade for string orchestra in E major, B. 52 (Op. 22): I: Moderato - Dvorák
- Gymnopedie No. 1 - Satie
- Symphony No. 5 in C sharp minor: Adagietto - Mahler
- Enigma Variations, for orchestra, Op. 36: Nimrod - Elgar