The Bottom Line
- Wonderful works by lesser-known French composers
- Unique story behind the music
- Fantastic performance by David Korevaar
- Though a pro for me, for some of you, lesser known composers can be a bad thing
- Released 2007, Koch International Classics
- 1 Disk, 16 Tracks
- Total Play Time: 1 Hour
Guide Review - The Ricardo Vines Collection - David Korevaar, piano
The University of Colorado at Boulder purchased the Ricardo Viñes music collection, consisting of over 800 scores, from the Viñes family in 1954. Many of the scores, including the ones on this album, contain the original notes and markings made by Viñes himself.
On this album you'll find works by Louis Aubert, Jean Roger-Ducasse, Henry Woollett, Vincent d'Indy, and Henry Fevrier. Each with their own unique style of composition, yet all contain melodic passages and harmonic structures synonymous with French piano music of the late 19th and early 20th century.