The Bottom Line
- A Reneé Fleming we've never heard
- The cover song, Haunted Heart, is stunning and heartfelt
- Reneé sings with jazz mavericks Bill Frisell (guitar) and Fred Hersch (piano)
- Music by Joni Mitchell, Paul McCartney and John Lennon, Howard Dietz and Arthur Schwarz and more!
- Several songs are less than stellar compared to the rest of the album
- Released: May 10, 2005, Universal Classics
- 1 Disk, 14 Tracks
- Total Play Time: 63:58
- Songs in English, Spanish, French and German
Guide Review - Reneé Fleming: Haunted Heart
This side of Reneé is a side a great number of the public has never heard, although, it's actually where she began her performing career. In Reneé Fleming's biography, we learned that during her undergraduate studies, performing meant singing at off-campus bars with her jazz trio every weekend for two years. Although, Reneé ultimately chose to travel the road of classical music (an extremely successful road at that), she says, "These songs have haunted my heart over the years..." Now, as successful as she is, she was able to get those songs off her "haunted heart" - an emotional release clearly evident in her performance.
Bill Frisell and Fred Hersch play with extreme sensitivity and musical ease. They equally match Reneé Fleming's flawless performance. The album would not be what it is without them.