1. Entertainment
Aaron Green

The Mozart Effect

By November 8, 2006

The Mozart Effect is essentially a theory stating that listening to Mozart's music will make you smarter. Now, whether or not this is true remains debatable. It seems many people have their own unique take on the matter. One of my high school history professors always played classical music during our exam, believing it would increase our performance. If anything, I was able to relax because of it. Searching the web, you can find all sorts of information regarding the topic. You'll find articles for it and against it. You'll even find classical music CDs for your baby based off this principal. What are your thoughts and experiences with the Mozart Effect? Do you believe it's real? Will you please post a comment? I'd love to hear your opinion.

Comments

November 9, 2006 at 2:58 am
(1) pitwis says:

Definitely! Classical music stimulates one’s intellectual capacity. I read of a study wherein students who listened to 10 minutes of Mozart prior to taking an examination scored higher than those who were not exposed to the music. There are also studies which relate classical music to health. Apparently, heart patients gained the same benefits from listening to 30 minutes of classical music as they did from taking 10 mg of Valium. But for me, the best benefit of classical music is that it reduces my stress.
My musician friend introduced me to Naxos Music Library. Now, my entire family enjoys classical music and I believe benefits from it.

November 10, 2006 at 5:03 pm
(2) Megan Romer says:

I don’t necessarily think it’s JUST Mozart, or even JUST classical music that makes your brain work better, your heart beat more regularly, etc. I think in general, any music that is rhythmically and melodically complex will have a similar benefit. I think part of it is actually the slight distraction. I think most reasonably intelligent people have mile-a-minute brains that run in a hundred directions at once, and a piece of complicated and intelligently created music occupies several of those channels at a time, allowing a person to focus more intently on the thing they NEED to be focusing on.

November 13, 2006 at 11:38 am
(3) Bill Dunning says:

Yes, the organizational principle in almost all music in the classical tradition does seem to influence the brain that hears it. Brain-scan studies indicate that the brain simply becomes more organized as it somehow empathizes with the orderly pattern of rhythm, coherent melody and harmony in the music of Mozart and those who think as he did when they write and perform.

There is also evidence that some of the more violently organized sound that is accepted today as popular music inspires the brain (and hence the body) to violence and destructive behavior. After visiting a jail (very briefly!) and hearing the cacaphony echoing off the walls, I wrote suggesting that prison officials should ban radios and pipe in only soft classical fare — I offered to select and tape the material — to calm the population and curb the violence. There was, of course, no response to this silly elitest idea. And, yes, it does smack of elitism, like advocating clean water, healthy food, sterile operating rooms and courteous driving — all nonsense in a world dedicated to its own destruction. I suppose the best we can do is hold our own, and support, for example, the radio stations that broadcast “the good stuff” so that their tribe will increase. Sure, it may take a few thousand years of uphill striving, but we might as well get started.

November 13, 2006 at 12:27 pm
(4) Susan Parker says:

Maybe, or maybe it’s that intelligent people are attracted to and enjoy classical music. There’s no question, though, that classical music and Mozart in particular are uplifting and make you feel good. Smarter? Who knows? It certainly doesn’t make you dumber, so if you like it, you might as well listen to it and enjoy it!

November 13, 2006 at 12:48 pm
(5) Kimbell McCurry says:

I’m not sure Mozart makes you smarter but one benefit I’ve experienced is that in life drawing listening to classical music made an immediate improvement in my drawing. I’m a believer!

November 14, 2006 at 2:35 pm
(6) laura lou says:

I have taken quite a few I.Q. tests and I have found that if I listen to classical music at the time of the test my score goes up. Vibrations are very important to the body and classical has many intellectual and soothing vibrations…….

November 21, 2006 at 1:22 pm
(7) Swishmael1994 says:

Yes! I definitely believe the Mozart Effect actually has an effect on thinking. Guess what? It’s also my science fair project! Since I love music so much and the Mozart Effect interests me so much, I have chosen to gather 18 kids (9 girls and 9 boys) and let them take a math test listening to rock, classical and no music! Most teachers would say that you shouldn’t listen to music while doing homework, but I might be able to prove them wrong.

November 3, 2007 at 5:47 am
(8) nick says:

I agree. my friend liked rock, but when he get bored of it he was listening to classic. most of all he liked Mozart. and he really got smarter.

December 1, 2007 at 7:30 am
(9) RmaN says:

I don’t what you mean by smart?
If You mean It Increases Iq,I,m not sure about that but i have experienced That The Mozart & Every Clever Music Which In My Idea Mozart Is The Best Of Them Have Given Power To My Brain.It’s One Important thing you should.relaxed Mood Can Help Your Brain Work Very Better And I Believe This and Being Clever of Mozart’s Music Are The Reason That Makes That Happen.

January 22, 2008 at 1:09 pm
(10) xena says:

i think Mozart music is a miystry.. i know all classics are good and relaxing..but i think there is something weird with Mozart’s.
i had 3 goldn fish and i played for 2 fishs classic music not for mozart they were ok but for the third i put for it Mozart it became so energetic.then i put the 3 and plays for them Mozart and the 3 turned to energetic..
i don’t know how to explane it but yes i believe it’s real…

July 24, 2008 at 3:00 am
(11) gee says:

hey. umm bit late.
i did a SRP on the Mozart effect and found out that it increases cognitive functions by like idk. quite a bit. it stimulates the brain, so its good to listen to it before tests or while studying.

good eh?
yeah. thats all.
hope it helps.
even tho its like 2 yrs late

November 10, 2008 at 8:42 pm
(12) Meranda says:

Okay umm.. i agree with the motzart affect thing because i am in band at my school and have been for 7 years and i have also played on the drumline this year. I see music and things diffrently than others. i also have noticed that my mind is more creative and that i see problems with an open mind

November 20, 2008 at 12:13 am
(13) Grown Ivy says:

Its not just Mozart but the reason why his music is supposed to make you “smarter” is because of how his music effects the brain.
when your brain recieve’s certain melodic vibrations (though music) it creates a certain brain wave pattern. Have you heard of the Alpha, Beta, Theta and Delta brian waves? Alpha is quick thinking on the go kind of brain wave, while Delta is when you are in a deep sleep?
Well Mozarts music triggers your brain to go into a Theta brain wave. Theta brian wave is when you are on the line of sleeping and being awake. They say when the brian in Theta, both your left and right hemispheres of the brain are working together, one hemisphere

November 20, 2008 at 12:27 am
(14) Grown Ivy says:

HAHA crap I wasnt done!

anyway, the right and the left hemisphere’s work together in Theta state. one side collects the information given and the other half stores this information. Being in the Theta state is also good for “rewiring” your sub conscious.
Studies where done that students who just graduated from university loose up to 80% of what they where taught by the following summer (assuming that they graduated in April).
Then studies found that if the students listened to music that triggered Theta brain waves (like Mozart) the students ended up retaining more information then with out being in the Theta state.
Thats why they say you will ace your test if you listen to Mozart because you remember more of what youve been taught. ;)

The super cool thing is, what a genius for Mozart to be able to create wonderful music that could put your brain into the Theta state! they didnt know that in those days!!

December 1, 2008 at 3:26 pm
(15) uri says:

I tried listening to classical music in order to improve my thought process, but I always find myself distracted, thinking only about the music I’m listening to!

December 9, 2008 at 9:31 pm
(16) Malise says:

Absolutely not. You’re right, Mozart is good for relaxing, but that’s more of a form of Music Therapy than increasing intellect. This was the thesis of a research paper I had to do for the last two years of high school, so I know a bit about it. The Mozart effect was thought of by Alfred A. Tomatis, but it wasn’t tested until 1993, when Dr. Francis Rauscher took her college psychology students and tested them before and after listening to Mozart. Her results are the ONLY positive results that the Mozart effect works. Dr. Kenneth Steele is a professor at another university, who took Rauscher’s experiments on both foetal rats and on college students and replicated them himself, but he got no conclusive evidence. He has many papers on the tops, among them “Failure to Replicate”, where he describes his many attempts, in-depth, to replicate Rauscher’s data. You can find these articles and many more on his website.

So, no. The Mozart effect is a myth. Sorry guys.

January 31, 2009 at 5:33 pm
(17) grumpy old fart says:

I can only suppose that most of your respondents were not listening to Mozart when they posted their comments, or is it just a function of an educational system that fails to teach syntax,grammar,and punctuation. Perhaps, if my grandchildren had been exposed to Mozart insted of heavy metal, I would be able to understand their Emails and text messages. It seems that I have been reduced to being referred to as “gdw” (Grandad Williams).
Let’s make Mozart a mandatory part of the school curriculum, at least 5 hours a week. Would we then produce the smartest generation the world has ever known.

June 16, 2009 at 4:51 am
(18) Syamir Mustaffa says:

I need to make a presentation on this Mozart Effect… Please help me!!!

March 4, 2010 at 5:22 pm
(19) Marianna Pinnock says:

I listen to Mozart when I’m writing fiction. It really works for me every time. I lose myself in the music so much that I forget all about my inner critic and it all just seems to flow. This doesn’t mean I’m more intelligent though but it certainly gets rid of my inhibitions and revitalizes my self belief. It could be the vibrational energy from the actual sound waves that makes a person able to tune into the intelligent universe in the same way as a meditation. Who really knows, but if you believe something will work for you then it usually does and that is the power of the mind. I have a real problem believing in anything but music seems to effect my mood nonetheless and so the power of it is hard to ignore.

January 5, 2011 at 3:51 am
(20) jqe says:

hi, can one of you actually recomend a good starting point, I mean how about suggesting a specific album to buy that sums up the theta waves effect – a beginner like me doensnt know what to buy, and there a big choice. thanks